Thursday 16 July 2020

AWH Team - July Creative Showcase - Colouring Techniques


Hello and welcome everyone.

The Art With Heart Team are back with another Creative Showcase. This month members of the team are featuring different colouring techniques.

Stampin' Up! have a bevy of functional and effective colouring tools available.

They include:
  • Stampin' Blends
  • Stampin' Write Markers
  • Stampin' Spritzers
  • Watercolour Pencils
  • Blender Pens
  • Water Painters
  • Stamping Sponges
  • Sponge Daubers
  • Sponge Brayers

Now it's time to enjoy viewing the teams creative colouring projects.

Here is the first of my two cards.


I was inspired to try my hand at a Colour Blocking Technique, after watching a video by Gail Ellis, an Australian Demonstrator. I grabbed my ink pads, some sponging tools, and got to work.
First of all you need to choose a stamp set that has line art images in it, as these work so much better than solid images. With open lined images you still see the colour behind the stamping. Once you have chosen the stamps it's time to stamp with Versamark Ink, apply white embossing powder and heat set. Then cut the shapes you want, to make up your blocks.
I applied ink from my ink pads by sponging in a circular motion. You can keep adding more ink for a bolder colour or not as much, for a softer pastel look that I went for on my card. My images come from the Butterfly Gala stamp set for the butterflies, and the Good Morning Magnolia stamp set for the leaf.


Can you believe that the colours I've used are mostly from the Brights Collection?
I'll have a list of the colours I've used at the end of my post.

Once you have applied the colour to each section, don't forget to "tissue off" the excess ink that can lie on top of the embossed images. When you have finished colouring, you then put the pieces back together like a jigsaw puzzle, matching the images. For this square card I placed the sections together with no gaps, but in my second card I left a tiny gap between each block, you'll see that a bit later.
I sponged more colour onto a piece of Whisper White card stock and heat embossed a large and a small butterfly and cropped with the coordinating Butterfly Duet Punch. The large butterfly is attached with Stampin' Dimensionals and the small butterfly is added to the Stitched So Sweetly die-cut with some Multipurpose Liquid Glue. I chose to stamp the sentiment in Basic Gray to keep the soft look going. The sentiment is from the Lovely You stamp set. Basic Rhinestones add a touch of sparkle.


Here's what I did on the inside.


I layered another die-cut from the Stitched So Sweetly Dies onto a sponged coloured square, and added another small embossed butterfly.

🌺🌺🌺

For my second card, I have again used the Colour Blocking Technique. This time however, I used just two colours.


Unfortunately I made a "boo boo" on this card. I was going for pink on the inside and purple on the outside, but I got my pieces mixed up and so it ended up being more random sponging instead of colour blocking. This time I applied more ink for the darker shading.

The images are from the Free As A Bird stamp set. As I mentioned above, when I placed the pieces back together I left a tiny gap between them. On both cards I've glued them straight onto the Whisper White card base. I stamped the sentiment in Gorgeous Grape and it's from the Butterfly Wishes stamp set.


On the stitched sentiment panel I used another Colouring Technique. The Baby Wipe Technique.
This technique uses a baby wipe, ink from bottles of re-inker dropped randomly but close together so that they blend. The baby wipe then becomes basically an ink pad. The chosen stamp is then pressed onto the ink and you end up with a lovely blend of the colours you've used.


Inside I added a stitched rectangle for the writing panel and stamped the flowers with the baby wipe ink.

I had a lot of fun playing with the Colour Blocking Technique.


Thank you for stopping by.

Now it's time to see the rest of the team's colouring technique creations.

Next demonstrator to share her project with us is the lovely and talented, Catherine Proctor.



If you find a broken link or have come to this blog hop from a different entry point, below is the list of tonight's participants.


Caroline Manwaring <<< you are here >>>
🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺


Product List











6 comments:

  1. Caroline I can't believe what beautiful soft shade you've achieved with this effect using the brights! I also like the effect you've achieved by leaving a gap between the pieces on the second card - what fabulous techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous soft colours Caroline. I love this technique and was going to do it myself, but changed my mind at the last minute luckily! I love what you have created.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely subtle colours on your cards Caroline, beautiful work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love both cards and the soft pastel colours from the Brights! The origami folding just adds that artistic touch to your first card which makes it unusual. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how pretty! I love the softness of the colours on your first card, Caroline. Beautiful work with both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards Caroline. I love, love, love the soft colours you have achieved using Brights with the triangular folds. so gorgeous. Your second card is no less gorgeous. I love the rectangular design with the white spaces. xxx

    ReplyDelete

In line with new Data Protection Legislation (GDPR), by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it.